A Sweet Surprise



When I came home last night from work, I was pleasantly surprised by the deep aroma of warm chocolate and a nice hug from Joseph! After watching River Cottage episodes non-stop this weekend, Joseph and I felt inspiration from farmers, bakers, and homemade recipes - who could resist easy down-to-earth tasty goodies?

Joseph spent the evening with pink fingers - these brownies having a sweet, and red, pop - beetroot! Here is the recipe from Hugh (River Cottage). They are simple and delicious. Since they have beets in them, they can be considered a health food, right? ;)

There's no tastier way to get your five a day than enrobing your veg in chocolate

Ingredients

  • 250g/10oz good, dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids), broken into pieces
  • 250g/10oz unsalted butter, cut into cubes, plus more for greasing
  • 250g/10oz caster sugar
  • 3 free-range eggs
  • 150g self-raising flour (we used wholemeal self-raising)
  • 250g beetroot, boiled until tender, peeled and grated

Watching the River Cottage makes me want to trade in the city for a place on Hugh's farm. When I think about slowing down life and leaving things behind - living off the land starts to sound appealing. Maybe in a few years when the city really starts to make me a bitter person... a girl can only handle so many nights without getting a proper parking spot!

We enjoyed the rest of the evening, munching on Joseph's healthy and tangy Asian lettuce wraps, followed by beetroot brownies and ice cream.

Today the weather has finally turned gloomy and rainy - so I get to bust out my Hunter Wellies and cable knit sweater. Now all I need is a Downtown Field Jacket from J.Crew...
I'm dying to have fires, roast marshmallows, carve pumpkins, and eat caramel apples. I feel like Autumn couldn't come any sooner!

No comments:

Post a Comment